Mumbai: to Delhi Capitals women’s premier league (WPL) will have to wait for some more time to confirm their place in the playoffs as Gujraj Giants, recovering from a crushing defeat, defeated Delhi by 11 runs in a thrilling match. Struggling to stay in the playoff race of the tournament, Sneh Rana’s captaincy Gujarat did not lose courage till the end in a tough competition and ups and downs and registered its second win in the tournament. The star of Gujarat’s victory proved to be its world champion all-rounder Ashley Gardner, who performed her best in WPL first with the bat and then with the ball. On Thursday, March 16, in the 14th match of WPL, Gujarat batted first and set a target of 148 runs against Delhi. In response, the Delhi team could not even play the full 20 overs and got bundled out for just 136 runs. This is Delhi’s second defeat in 6 matches and still it is in second place in the points table. How this match turned from one side to the other, know in few points-
read this also: Chris Gayle did not stand in front of Babar Azam, broke the record by scoring 64 runs
DC vs GG match status in 6 points
- Delhi captain Meg Lanning won the toss and elected to bowl first, and in the very first over, Marijan Cap got off to a great start by returning opener Sophia Dunkley to the pavilion.
- There was a 49-run partnership between Laura Woolfart and Harleen Deol (31) but its pace was very slow and till the 10th over the score was 53 for 2 wickets.
- Australia’s Ashley Gardner, who was adjudged Player of the Tournament in the T20 World Cup last month, scored an unbeaten 51 off just 33 balls, playing her best innings in the WPL. At the same time, Woolfart (57 runs, 45 balls) also caught pace later and shared an 81-run partnership with Gardner.
- Delhi also lost the wicket of Shefali Verma in the second over itself, but Alice Capsey (22) along with captain Meg Lanning (18) took the score to 48 runs in the sixth over itself. Capsy, Lanning and Jemima Rodriguez were dismissed in the sixth and seventh overs.
- Marijan Cap (36) handled the innings and kept the team’s score going but wickets kept falling from the other side. Till 14.3 overs, the score was only 100 runs and 8 wickets had fallen.
- Then Arundhati Reddy (25) played a blistering inning and by the 18th over showed hope of winning the team by reaching 135 runs but she was dismissed on the last ball. Then in the very next over the last wicket also fell. For Gujarat, Gardner took 2 wickets for just 19 runs in 3.4 overs.
read this also: Yuvraj Singh came to meet Rishabh Pant, told the latest condition of the Indian star from a photo
Get the latest sports news updates